Wednesday, April 2, 2008

puerto rico's finest

Mr. Calico and The Jedi headed to the Atlantic for a rendezvous with Puerto Rico's finest spear fisherman, Roberto Reyes - his credentials can be found at http://www.puertoricofreedivers.com/.

We got a late start the morning March 13. Beto took us to a private launch - he blind-folded us, so we wouldn't remember the way. First stop was a nearby buoy - 20-25 ft deep dive, where we'd dive for chummers which we'd later use to try to lure in the larger fish in deeper waters. The water was warmer than we could imagine, but the merk was thick. No catches the first dive.

Notice Mr. Calico wearing his newly acquired FDH shirt below.



Second chummer fish stop yielded nicer returns. At the bottom, I snuck up on a large fish, not knowing what it was, and nailed it. My reel was buzzing underwater - the fish took off and zipped around the large buoy structure. I followed it around the structure under water, then quickly swam up to get boat help in fear my line would run out, and the fish would fight enough to drag me under. I swam to the boat just in time to hand off my gun to Beto. The line ran out, and the fish continued to fight. We finally worked it up gently and loaded it onto the boat - a barracuda! These grow much bigger in PR from what I'm used to in So Cal, and I'm told these barracuda are often double this in size.
It was a fun start to the day, and I headed out for more. The next dive - a permit! Of course, I didn't know what it was until Beto had a look at it. He says, that these are a prized, delicious fish. I was surprised to feel this fish's strength under water - this 6 pounder felt more like a 20 pounder due to its pulling strength. Beto says they grow much larger than this - must be a gorilla of a fight with one of those bigger ones.
During this same dive, Mr. Calico made quick work of a curious tarpon. In the merk, this fish just happened to be so curious as to approach Mr. Calico head on, the fish turned slightly, the gun fired, and the fight was on.
Puerto Rico offered the warmest waters I've ever experienced and visibility that cannot compare. Too bad it's such a long flight over there... just one tip for travels to PR - DON'T FLY AMERICAN AIRLINES!!!

-TJ

No comments: