Monday, September 1, 2008

labor day catch

Shore diving - a nice, little pocket between Laguna Beach and Crystal Cove. Though the viz was poor and the surge high, I set out anyway. I was diving around 30 feet, skimming the sandy bottom for halibut and found no sign of life. I ventured over to the nearby rocks, and the viz opened up to about seven feet. I saw a school of about 20 Calico on the side of a big rock - a sight I've never seen before. I snuck around the back to see if I could pick off a big one, but they were all too little. I kept diving... finally, a large sand bass made its way toward me, and I sat still and waited for it to turn. It finally did ever so slightly, right in front of my gun, and I fired. I gave it dimples - in and out right behind its mouth and through the gills. He was mad!
As soon as I pulled up my catch under water, two seals came to investigate. I headed back in, saw a nice-sized leopard shark, and called it a day.
A delicious eight-pound bass. It ain't YT, but it fed my family the next two days, and it sure was tasty.

- TJ

No comments: